The basics of packing and preparing for the Inca trail in 2017 is keep in mind that you will face a variety of conditions during the trek and its very important keep the weight to a minimum. For you to avoid extra tough carrying your heavy day back during the trek, and for the porters, who have limited kilograms to carry including campsite environment and your extra belongings. During the Inca Trail you will deal with the intense heat and strong sun and cold mountain nights, which can get below zero while camping the Inca Trail. For futher information we invite you to watch this video, made by EnergyRouter.
The best way to deal with all the different temperatures and extremes on the Inca Trail is to dress using several clothes layers rather than using one jumper expecting it’s enough for whole trek. In case you forget something to take on the Inca Trail, no need to panic, you can get all the rest in Cusco, or opposite leave in your hotel things you won’t use while hiking the Inca Trail.
Packing Clothes for Inca trail
As been mentioned, best way to pack your clothes for the Inca Trail is in layers. This way you don’t need to pack too many things, but packing smartly and with a little help, you will be definitely prepared for every each day on Inca Trail! See below items we suggest you to pack your clothing for the trek.
- Underwear and base layers. For ladies advisable bring a pear or two of sport bras
- 3x short sleeve shirts
- 1x long sleeve shirt. Don’t use cotton for trek, this material takes longer to dry.
- 1-2x hiking or comfortable trousers and shorts. Ideal if you have or about to 2in1 hiking pants with the zippers to make it as shorts!
- Warm jacket. Better if has a hoodie, if not get a hat, you may need it to keep warm your ears during the chilly nights at the campsite.
- Rain gair/poncho. On a dry season not so much possibility for the rain, but better pack it, as it won´t take much space but in case will save you and your day pack!
Packing the head gear for Inca Trail
- Sun hat
- Headlamp/torch-no electricity at the campsite, quite useful tool in need to prepare your bed or find services.
Inca Trail walking packing list
During the Inca Trail you will hike between 6-9 hours per day, very important to be prepared and enjoy the views during the walk but not sore legs.
- Walking poles – great stuff to add in your Inca Trail packing list, helps with your balance, reduce weight for your legs, great help to keep safe going down steep stairs. You can bring your own, or rent here in Cusco.
- Hiking boots or comfortable running shoes- don’t try your luck with brand new hiking boots, you will probably will end up with painful blisters after first day. Choose your oldies to secure comfort for your feet.
- Battle of water- we would highly recommend use refillable bottle, you will be provided with water every day, this way you and all trekkers reduce the pollution and rubbish on the Inca Trail.
Other key accessories Inca Trail packing listFew other accessories witch are necessary to have in the packing list for the Inca Trail for you to enjoy the trek!
- Sleeping bag-very important! Try to get a good quality feather sleeping bag. You won’t carry it yourself, our porters will, as lighter, as better! You can rent a good quality sleeping bag in Cusco.
- Camera and extra batteries as there are no charging points along the trail.
- Cash for tips for porters, guide and small purchases, access toilets at Machu Picchu etc.
- Toiletries – toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, travel soap.
- Snacks – energy bars, mix nuts
- General Med. Box
- Wet wipes – great for quick cleaning your hands or face.
- Insect Repellent – as higher percentage of Repel is, as better!
- Sun cream and lip balm – you will trek in a high altitude the sun intensity is higher than normal.
- Swimsuit- you may need it in Aguas Calientes in a hot springs.
- Insurance and passport – for your safety have a copy of insurance, passport is needed to get in Machu Picchu.
We hope you found this Packing List for the Inca Trail useful. If you would have any further questions, feel free to contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you! Check availability now and start your unforgettable journey!