The Inca Jungle tour is not just an alternative trek to the classic Inca Trail, it is the most original and unique trekking tour to Machu Picchu which follows recently discovered trails. The biking and hiking tour to Machu Picchu is suitable for anyone with a sense of adventure, curiosity and a bit of spare energy!
Click to see travellers’ testimonials for inspiration on your next Peru adventure.
For those who are looking other alternative tours we have a short Inca Trail 2D-1N tour exploring the part Ancient Inca Trail leading to Machu Picchu in a fast and easy way! Check availability for the Short Inca Trail and contact us for any further information.
Biking and Hiking to Machu Picchu, Inca Jungle Tour in 4 days 3 nights
- 7:15-11:15 a.m. Transfer by bus from cusco to Abra Malaga.
- 11:50-1:15 We begin the guided tour by bicycle.
- 1:30-2:30 We will have a box lunch while on the trail.
- 2:30-4:00 We will continue to Santa Maria by bicycle.
- We will have dinner and stay the night in dorms.
- 6:00-10:40 a.m. Walking tour in Santa Maria.
- 11:00-12:00 Lunch at a restaurant in Quellomayo.
- 12:15-1:30 Walk to the hot springs in Santa Teresa.
- Optional Activity: You may relax in the hot springs in Santa Teresa.
- 2:45-5:00 Walking tour to the town of santa Teresa.
- We will have dinner and stay overnight in dorms.
- 7:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Walking tour from santa Teresa to Hidroelectrica.
- At noon we will have lunch and at about 1:30 p.m. we will continue walking to Aguas Calientes.
- We will have dinner there and stay overnight at the hotel of your choice.
- 5:30-6:30 a.m. We will walk up to Machu Picchu.
- 7:00-10:00 We will have a guided tour of Machu Picchu.
- You will have free time to continue exploring the site, to have lunch, or to go to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- 6:30-8:15 We will go by train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- 8:30-10:20 We will go by bus from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
if you have questions about the Inca Trail, you can read the Frequently Asked Questions
The Inca Jungle bike and hike Package Includes:
- Professional, bilingual Tour Guide. Assistant Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more)
- All transfers from and to your hotel
- Bus: Cusco-Abra Malaga-Santa Maria
- Train: Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Bus: Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- Bikes and Biking gear
- Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu
- 3-night Hostel in Santa Maria, Santa Teresa and Aguas Calientes
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner). (Lunch on day 4 is not included)
- Oxygen bottle, First-Aid kit
- Vegetarian food on request at no extra cost!
The bike and Hike – Inca Jungle Package Does Not Include:
- International or domestic flights
- Tips or extra expenses
Day 1 Inca Jungle: Cusco, Ollantaytambo, Abra Malaga, Santa Maria (Meals:L,D)
We will pick you up from your hotel at around 7:30 a.m. to head to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. We will get to Abra Malaga (4316m) at noon. This is the starting point for the bike ride to the high forest. You will be riding bikes for at least 5 hours.
You do not carry your own belongings today as there is a support car for this; if you don´t like biking you may go in the car. We will pass through small villages, orchards, rivers and streams reaching the Huamanmarca archaeological site where there will be some free time before deciding whether to continue biking or to go in the car to the town of Santa Maria.
Total Biking time 5 hrs (0 km.) – Initial altitude 0 m. Final 0 m.
Overnight at a family hostel in Santa Maria (Altitude: 1575 m)
Day 2 Inca Jungle: Santa Maria – Santa Teresa (Meals:B,L,D)
We will get up at 6:00 am to have breakfast and then start the trekking adventure by the river bank. You will carry all your things while you trek on this day.
We will climb up the mountain for about 1 and a half hours to the highest point where we will be able to see the entire valley and the slopes of the canyon. A section of this hike is part of an original Inca trail that reached the village of Quellomayo. Later at noon we will have a delicious lunch and after a short break, we will continue the walk along the old road to Santa Teresa.
Total walking hours: 07:00 ( km.) – Initial altitude 0 m. – Final 0 m.
Overnight at a family hostel in Santa Teresa (Altitude: 1811 m, 0 ft)
Day 3 Inca Jungle: Santa Teresa – Town of Aguas Calientes (Meals:B,L,D)
This day we will take a bus from Santa Teresa to Lucmabamba where we will start a 2-hour walk to the ruins of Llactapata. After a guided tour of the site, we will descend for about 1 hour to the Hidroelectrica train station.
We will see waterfalls from the glaciers, as well as Coca and Coffee plantations along the way. Our lunch will be in Hidroelectrica and later in the afternoon we’ll continue our walk along the railroad to reach Aguas Calientes – Machu Pichu town.
Here we will dine and check-in at our hostel at the foot of the great Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
Total walking hours 07:00 hrs (km.) – Initial altitude 3800 m. – Final 2,650 m.
Overnight at a hostel in Aguas Calientes (Altitude: 0 m, 0 ft)
Day 4 Inca Jungle: Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu, Cusco (B)
This morning we will wake up around 5:00 am to have breakfast and start our hike up to the ruins in order to enjoy the beautiful Machu Picchu sunrise. Our guide will give you the tour of Machu Picchu and its most important places for about two and a half hours. After the guided tour, you will have some free time to go on exploring the Lost City of the Incas on your own, and to take pictures of Machu Picchu.
For an additional fee, we can get you the entrance tickets for Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (the top of the mountain we see in every picture of Machu Picchu) 2720m/8890ft. This optional hike should be booked in advance (it takes a 50 min to reach the top and another 50 min to hike down).
You will have the afternoon free to have lunch, visit the hot springs of Aguas Calientes, or visit the small market or museum. Finally, you will travel by train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and then by bus to Cusco. Transfer to your hotel.
What to bring for this tour
What you need to take for this tour:
- Original Passport, International Student Card (ISIC card) if applicable
- Walking boots, Waterproof jacket, Rain poncho, T-shirts, trousers
- Sun hat, Sunscreen, Insect repellent, Toiletries and hand sanitizer
- Bottled Water and Personal medication
- Shorts, Plasters, bandages, Extra money, Bathing suit
- Cameras and headlamps
- Travel Insurance is recommended
All payment methods include extra charges not added in the quotation. Please check the payment details.
If you have questions about the Inca Trail, you can review the Frequently Asked Questions
Upgrade options for your comfort
You can always ask for an upgrade for all of our services:
Trains: you can ask for a high class train, the Hiram Bingham luxury service.
Accomodation: If you feel like staying in a hotel during your stay in Cusco even for a couple of hours, we have plenty of options for you. Please check our hotel lists to find the best option for you.
Guiding: Our guides are very knowledgeable and experienced, but if you want a specialized guiding you can ask us to a special guiding service.
Opinons of travelers like you
Prices: Fares for this 4-day tour depend on the number of people in your group (more people less pricy).
Are you looking for the price of the tour? Send us a mail and we will send you the quotation as soon as possible.
Important for your Inca Jungle tour: To qualify as a student, it is necessary to have a valid ISIC card. If desired, Basic hotels and Train service can be upgraded for an additional price. Personal belongings are carried by tourists.