The tour of the Salt mines of Maras and the agricultural terraces of Moray is a great complement to the Machu Picchu tours. You will be able to see snow-capped mountains, fields and traditional villages. Daily departures for singles and groups. This tour begins and ends in Cusco.
Click to see travellers’ testimonials for inspiration on your next Peru adventure.
Half a Day Tour of Maras and Moray
- 8:30-9:00 a.m. Pick up from your hotel to board the bus.
- 11:30-12:00 Guided tour of the salt mines of Maras.
- 12:30-1:30 Guided tour of the agricultural interpretation center in Moray.
- 1:30-2:30 Return to Cusco by bus.
The Maras and Moray Tour Includes:
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide
- All Transfers from and to your hotel
- Entrance tickets to the Salt Mines of Maras (But your Own Tickets BTG will be needed)
The Maras and Moray Tour Does Not Include:
- Meals not mentioned in the package
- Tips or extra expenses
Half a Day Tour of Maras and Moray
We will start at 9:00 am with pick up from your hotel; we will go on to the picturesque town of Maras, 52 km from Cusco. It is located at an altitude of 3,380 meters above sea level. This is a small village famous for its salt mines which consist of about 3000 small wells with an average area of about 5m² from which salt is extracted after a drying process. The Salt mines, better known as “Salineras de Maras”, have been exploited since Inca times as a means of economic exchange.
7 km from Maras, we will visit the archaeological site of Moray. Here we will see the greatness of the circular terraces of Inca agriculture. Moray is a group of circular terraces which was used as an agricultural experimental center. The Incas used it to study the adaptation of plants to new ecosystems. The overlapping circular stone rings widen as they rise and it has a total depth of 150 m.
After a guided tour, we will go back to Cusco. The tour lasts about 5 hours and ends at Regocijo Square (a half away block from the main square) at around 2:30 pm. Transfer to your hotel.
What to bring for this tour
- Rain poncho, waterproof jacket, T-shirts
- Woolen cap, sun hat, ear muffs
- Trousers, shorts, swimsuit
- Underwear, socks
- Gloves, scarf
- Sneakers, tekking shoes, sandals
Health and Care
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, insect repelent, sun hat
- Small towel
- Bottled water
- Personal medication
- Camera, charging cord
- Extra batteries
- Cash in soles
Upgrade options for your comfort
You can always ask for an upgrade for any of our services:
- Private Tours: Do not waste time waiting and have the full experience only for you and your people.
- Accomodation: Cusco, Lima and Arequipa have plenty of options for a good sleep and rest. Please check our hotel lists to find the best option for you.
- Food: Do you want to taste Pervian gourmet food? Ask us for special restaurants in any city and indulge yourself!
- Guiding: Our guides are very knowledgeable and experienced, but if you want a specialized guiding you can ask us to a special guiding service.
- Special services: Are you planning something special for a friend’s birthday? Or maybe an anniversary? Contact us and we will support you to realize your plan!
- Extra destinations: If you have some place in mind that is not in this itinerary, just tell us and we will make all the arrangements for you.
Opinions of travelers like you
Are you looking for the price of the tour? Send us a mail and we will send you the quotation as soon as possible.