The Classic 4-Day Inca Trail is renowned worldwide, attracting people from many countries, because it includes visiting wonderful Inca archaeological sites, seeing wonderful landscapes all the way and finally the arrival at one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World, Machu Picchu. Check the availability and book your Classic Inca Trail (4 days and 3 nights) for 2018. Contact our travel experts!
For travelers with schedule or budget restrictions, we are glad to offer the amazing Short Inca Trail (2 days and 1 night). It includes hiking on day 1 and the great Machu Picchu tour on day 2! Check availability for the Short Inca Trail and you can contact our professional staff for more information.
Click to see travellers’ testimonials for inspiration!
Classic Inca Trail 4 Days 3 Nights – Itinerary
- Day 1: 6:00-8:00 a.m. We will pick you up at your hotel and go on private bus to the km 82, outside of Cusco city, the beginning point of the Inca Trail. We will hike to Patallacta and Wayllabamba, place for our campsite.
- Day 2: The hike includes Wayllabamba, the Warmiwanuska pass (4.215 meters above sea level), Pacaymayu, Runkuraccay. Night on campsite.
- Day 3: Runkuruccay, Phuyupatamarca, Winayhuayna. Night on campsite.
- Day 4: Hike from Winaywayna to Inti Punku (Sun Gate, the entrance to Machu Picchu). We will have a professionally guided tour of Machu Picchu from 6:30 to 8:20, then go from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo by train between 8:30 and 10:30. Finally from Ollantaytambo to Cusco city on a private bus.
- Questions about the Inca Trail? You can read our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Book the short Inca Trail if tickets for the Classic 4-Day Trail in 2018 are sold out.
The Inca Trail Package Includes:
- Professional, bilingual Tour Guide. Assistant Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more)
- All transfers from and to your hotel
- Train from Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Bus from Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- Entrance tickets for the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner). Lunch on day 4 is not included
- Camping and cooking gear carried by porters
- Oxygen bottle, First Aid kit
- Vegetarian food on request at no extra cost!
The Inca Trail Package Does Not Include:
- International or domestic flights
- Sleeping bags
- Tips or extra expenses
Day 1 Inca Trail – Km 82 to Wayllabamba (Meals: L,D)
Your Classic Inca Trail begins early in the morning; our private bus with the professional guide will pick you up and go to the starting point of the hike, which is km 82, outside Cusco city. There you will register and meet the porters and chef who will do the Classic Inca Trail with you.
Please don’t forget to have your passport at hand and a valid ISIC card if you are a student; these documents are required for registration.
From km. 82 (located at 2.700 meters or 8.850 feet above sea level) we will hike until the Wayllabamba campsite on day 1. The first two hours of the hike are light and then we’ll reach Miskay, for an energizing and healthy lunch prepared by our professional staff.
Afterwards, there will be a great uphill hike for about 3 or 4 hours. On this section, we will visit the first Inca site of the trail, Patallacta, take many pictures and have a guided tour.
Finally there’s the arrival to Wayllabamba, where our cooks and porters will be waiting for you with dinner ready, and also the whole campsite. After dinner, you will have free time to enjoy the campsite and the wonderful Andean night.
Total walking time 4:30 / 5:00 hours (12 km.) – Initial altitude 2750 m. Final 3,000 m.
Overnight at Wayllabamba Campsite (Altitude: 3000m, 9850ft)
Day 2 Inca Trail – Wayllabamba to Pacaymayo (Meals:B,L,D)
Early in the morning you will wake up to a delicious cup of coca leaves tea, then have breakfast and resume the hike. Have a better look and know more how to prepare for the Classic Inca Trail!
Initial altitude for day 2 is 3.000 meters or 9.850 feet, starting level of a 5-hour hike until 4.200 meters or 13.800 feet at the Warmiwanuska or Dead Woman’s Pass, a place that offers a unique view of the Andes range and all around; it is the highest point of the Trail.
After Warmiwanuska, which is the hardest part of the Inca Trail, there is a 1-hour downhill hike until the lunch area, which our professional team will have ready. After lunch, the hiking continues for 1 hour until the campsite at Pacaymayo, and you will have the rest of the day to enjoy the campsite.
At night, our kitchen staff will treat everybody with a delicious dinner.
Total walking hours 7:30 / 8:00 hrs (13 km.) – Initial altitude 3,000 m. – Final 3,800 m.
Overnight at Pacaymayo Campsite (Altitude: 3600m, 11800ft)
Day 3 Inca Trail – Pacaymayo to Wiñay Wayna (Meals: B,L,D)
After breakfast early in the morning, the hike continues; on this day the Trail includes several wonderful Inca sites.
The first stretch will go from Pacaymayo (3.600 meters or 11.800 feet above sea level) to the Runkuracay pass (3.900 meters or 12.800 feet above sea level); after this pass, the hike is mainly downhill, reaching Sayaqmarca, an almost unreachable Inca site.
Next we will arrive at the lunch area for day 3. Afterwards, the hike resumes until the amazing Winaywayna Inca complex and our campsite, you will have the rest of the day to relax and at night dinner for day 3 prepared by our kitchen staff.
Total walking hours 10:00 hrs (15 km.) – Initial altitude 3800 m. – Final 2,650 m.
Overnight at Wiñay Wayna Campsite (Altitude: 3700m/12150ft)
Day 4 Inca Trail – Wiñay Wayna to Machu Picchu (B)
After breakfast early in the morning, the hike resumes from Winaywayna (Quechua for “forever young”) to the Inti Punku or Sun Gate, where the arrival will be after two hours.Congratulations! At this point the Classic Inca Trail is officially finished!
The magnificent view you can enjoy of Machu Picchu, Sanctuary of the Incas, is surely a great reward! Next, there is a short hike to the Machu Picchu citadel and then the unforgettable professionally guided tour of Machu Picchu to see and learn about the astonishing sacred Inca citadel.
After the guided tour, you will have free time to continue exploring the citadel the way you like! The afternoon in Aguas Calientes is free for you to go visiting or shopping around the village, enjoy the hot springs and have lunch.
At 18:45 you will board the train to Ollantaytambo, and our staff will pick you there after a 1:30-hour ride and go to Cusco city on our private bus; in Cusco city we will transfer you to the hotel at around 22:30.
Total walking hours 2:15hrs (6 km) – Initial altitude 2650 m. Final 2,400 m.
Train back to Ollantaytambo, bus back to Cusco, and transfer to your hotel.
What to bring for this tour
What to bring
- Backpack (30 litres)
- Refillable water bottle
- Rain poncho, waterproof jacket, T-shirts
- Woolen cap, sun hat, ear muffs
- Trousers, shorts, swimsuit
- Underwear, socks
- Glovs, scarf
- Sneakers, tekking shoes, sandals
Health and Care
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, insect repelent, sun hat
- Small towel
- Bottled water
- Personal medication
- Camera, charging cord
- Extra batteries
- Cash in soles
Upgrade options for your comfort
You can always ask for an upgrade for any of our services:
- Private Tours: Do not waste time waiting and have the full experience only for you and your people.
- Trek Aid: You can rent a horse to complete the Rainbow Mountain or Salkantay Trek.
- Food: Do you want to taste Pervian gourmet food? Ask us for special restaurants in any city and indulge yourself!
- Guiding: Our guides are very knowledgeable and experienced, but if you want a specialized guiding you can ask us to a special guiding service.
- Special services: Are you planning something special for a friend’s birthday? Or maybe an anniversary? Contact us and we will support you to realize your plan!
- Extra destinations: If you have some place in mind that is not in this itinerary, just tell us and we will make all the arrangements for you.
Opinons of travelers like you
Fares for this tour depend on the number of people in your group (more people less pricy).
Are you looking for the price of the tour? Send us a mail and we will send you the quotation as soon as possible.