Did you have not found available spaces for the Inca Trail in 2017? Do NOT worry! You can now go on a great tour through the snowy Salkantay to one of the New 7 Wonders of the Modern World – Machu Picchu.
The Salkantay trek or Trail is one of the best alternatives adventure which lets you get to Machu Picchu in 5 days and 4 nights in 2017. Keep in mind you that you have to have a decent level fitness since the route is relatively longer and you could even say that the road is somewhat bumpy with rise and fall of terrain.
However, there are several positive points which makes this Salkantay Trail tour in 5 days and 4 nights one of the favorites for travelers: this tour is definitely a real adventure which lets you explore the remote road and you will go up by one of the highest points of Nevado Salkantay in this region, descending through the nearby cloud forest to the jungle region. Another advantage of this tour is that you will not find many people who go to this tour compared to other alternatives that also reach Machu Picchu. This as you will travel with a small group of about 8 people maximum.
In conclusion, the Salkantay trek of 5 days and 4 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate Andean and lush green mountains, streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physically taxing walk. You can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay. You can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,650 mts/15, 200 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth) you will enjoy the Grand tour of Machu Picchu.
Note: For travelers who don’t have too many days to hike, or for those who doesn’t feel fit enought to hike the Salkantay trek for 5 days, we have a great alternative trek – Short Inca Trail which takes 2 days and 1 night only, but includes most visiting spots on Inca Trail and brings you to the same main destination, Machu Picchu. Tour in Peru team has prepared a Short Inca Trail Availability which is updated weekly for your comfort. So far there is no live Short Inca Availability online, our team cares about your comfort and saves your time! Check now and contact us for any further information.
The Tour of Salkantay MachuPicchu Includes:
- Transfer from your hotel to the bus station (bus from Cusco to Mollepata).
- English speaking professional guide Cook and cooking equipment
- Horsemen and horses (to carry camping gear, food, cooking equipment, etc) for days 1 to 3.
- Accommodation for our guides, cook, porters and horsemen
- Meals (4B, 4L, 4D + wake up tea)
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Expedition Service).
- Transport from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- 3 night camping along the route (2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent).
- 1 night hostel in Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance ticket to Salkantay Park and Machu Picchu.
- First Aid Kit and Oxigen
The Tour of Salkantay does NOT included:
- Sleeping bags.
- Lunch and dinner on the last day after the guided tour of MachuPicchu, you have some free time to go on exploring MachuPicchu, have lunch either in MachuPicchu or in Aguas Calientes, etc.
- Train from Hidroelectrica to MachuPicchu town (tourist usually hike this part).
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to MachuPicchu and viceversa (tourists usually hike this part).
- Entrance to the HuaynaPicchu Mountain.
SALKANTAY TREK 5 DAYS / 4 NIGTHS in 2017
Day 01: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa
We will leave Cusco at 04:30 on bus, until Mollepata, a nearly 2:30-hour journey. After breakfast we start the uphill hike towards Cruzpata (3.100 meters above sea level), on a light slope where we can see many typical plants, native birds, the Apurimac river canyon (which is one of the deepest in Peru), and a villagers’ irrigation waterway.
We’ll have lunch in Cruzpata and on the Trail again at around 1:30 p.m headed to Soraypampa on a climbing hike with many terrain variations, seeing typical shacks, flora, Andean birds and wonderful views of the snow-capped Humantay (5.902 meters above sea level). After some 4 hours of hiking, it’s the arrival at our campsite in Soraypampa (3.900 meters above sea level); from there we can enjoy the sight of the majestic Apu Salkantay (6.271 meters above sea level). (Apu means sacred mountain in Quechua).
Day 02: Soraypampa – Challay
After an early energizing breakfast we resume the hike from Soraypampa at around 6:30 a.m, along the spectacular Peruvian highlands. From that spot we can enjoy the magnificent views of the Salkantay Mountain, a stunning snow-capped 6.264 meters high, the second highest peak in Cusco’s region, and also the snowies Humantay and Huayanay, the white river, beautiful small lakes and moraines.
After a five-hour hike, we’ll have lunch in Huayracmachay, and afterwards a further 2-3 hours downhill hike to the campsite at Chaullay, located at 2.920 meters above sea level, making a 20 Km total trek approximately! Meals for this day are breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 03: Chaullay – Winaypoco – La Playa.
Wake up with a lovely highlands, mountains view and a good coca leaves morning tea. On day 3 the hike begins at 07:00 am, for 3 hours, and we will get to a high region of the Peruvian Jungle, actually to its western border, where we can see many kinds of subtropical plants, fruits, flowers, typical birds and so on. There, banana trees, coffee plantations and more can be observed; it’s a great chance to take amazing pictures and enjoy nature. At the end of the day we will see delicious passion fruit fields. On the way you will have a delightful experience, meeting local people who live in the region.
The hike lasts approximately 9 hours! Our campsite will be at the village called La Playa (2.400 meters above sea level), to spend the night. Meals for this day are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hiking distance covered on day 3 is approximately 15 Km.
Day 04: La Playa – Aguas Calientes
After a delicious breakfast, at around 08:30 am we resume our hike, uphill and seeing plantations of coffee, bananas, passion fruit and a wonderful view of the Santa Teresa Valley. We go along the banks of the Vilcanota river until arrival to Oroya (canopy bridge for watching birds). From Sahuayaco you will have the first amazing glimpse of the Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu mountains.
From the Machu Picchu Hydroelectric we’ll take the train to the day’s final village, Aguas Calientes, next to the Machu Picchu complex, where after dinner you stay overnight at a hostel or optionally at a hotel. Meals for this day are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hiking distance covered on day 4 is approximately 10 Km.
Day 05: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu
We are hiking up to the archaeological site of Machu Picchu and then explore the citadel and enjoy the ancient place in the quiet morning hours, on a complete professionally guided tour of the Inca citadel for about two hours. In the afternoon, we will gather in Aguas Calientes where, if you like, you can visit around and relax in its famous hot springs. From Aguas Calientes we board the train back to Ollantaytambo (from 18:45 to 20:15 ride) and then connect with the transfer back to Cusco city, (from 20:25 to 22:30 ). Only breakfast for the last day.
In conclusion, the Salkantay trek of 5 days and 4 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate barren and lush green mountains, streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physical effort to walk; you can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay; you can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,650 mts/15, 200 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth) you will enjoy the grand tour of Machu Picchu. So do not wait more and book the Salkantay Trek now for your adventure.
What to bring for this tour
Things you should Carry in your day pack for this tour (Maximum recommended weight 6 Kg)
- Camping gear: Sleeping bag, lantern light-handed, water purifying tablets
- Clothing: Rain Jacket, 4 t-shirts, long walking trousers, shorts, several pairs of socks, hiking underwear, rain coat, slippers or sandals to rest your feet, a cap or hat
- Body Care items: Repellent, sunscreen, toilet paper, personal medication
- Extra items: plastic bags (to protect cameras and littering)
What you should wear to start this tour:
- Short sleeve t-shirt and long sleeve t-shirt
- Warm jacket
- Long pants (better if they are reversible to shorts)
- Thick, mountaineering socks
- A good pair of mountaineer shoes
- Money in small denomination, loose change (soles).
- A light backpack or bag with camera, documents, bottled beverages, etc
Upgrade options for your comfort
You can always ask for an upgrade for any of our services:
- Private Tours: Do not waste time waiting and have the full experience only for you and your people.
- Trek Aid: You can rent a horse to complete the Rainbow Mountain or Salkantay Trek.
- Accomodation: Cusco, Lima and Arequipa have plenty of options for a good sleep and rest. Please check our hotel lists to find the best option for you.
- Food: Do you want to taste Pervian gourmet food? Ask us for special restaurants in any city and indulge yourself!
- Guiding: Our guides are very knowledgeable and experienced, but if you want a specialized guiding you can ask us to a special guiding service.
- Special services: Are you planning something special for a friend’s birthday? Or maybe an anniversary? Contact us and we will support you to realize your plan!
- Extra destinations: If you have some place in mind that is not in this itinerary, just tell us and we will make all the arrangements for you.
Opinons of travelers like you
Are you looking for the price of the tour? Send us a mail and we will send you the quotation as soon as possible.